Women in Mathematics is a group of undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, instructors, and other faculty members of the mathematics department at Penn State. Our main objective is to provide support and information to the women within the mathematics community at PSU at all levels, from undergraduate students to faculty members.
Our activities include:
- Meeting monthly to share information about career opportunities and to discuss issues facing women in science and mathematics;
- Supporting undergraduate and graduate students in their research;
- Sponsoring visits of women mathematicians to the mathematics department;
- Getting together in a friendly atmosphere for refreshments.
If you are interested in our activities and would like to receive our emails, please sign up using the Registration Form on this page. You must be affiliated with the Pennsylvania State University. If you have a valid psu account, please sign up here.
Meet with Us!
Our next WIM meeting is Tuesday December 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM in 114 McAllister. This meeting will close the semester activities. Our previous meeting was in September. Phil Kutzko from the Math Alliance©; was our guest.
- Professor Kirsten Eisentraeger is elected Fellow of the American Mathematical Society .
- Associate Professor Victoria Sadovskaya has received the Donald C. Rung Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching in Mathematics, awarded by the Department of Mathematics.
- Professor Wen Shen has received the Teresa Cohen Mathematical Service Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching in Mathematics, awarded by the Department of Mathematics.
- Senior Instructor Darla Forscha is the winner of the Mary Lister McCammon Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching in Mathematics, awarded by the Department of Mathematics.
Activities supported by WIM
- WIM Scholars: WIM will partially support undergraduate female students undertaking Mathematics research at Penn State. For more information, click here.
- WIM Travel Grants:Wim will provide some support to send female graduate students and postdocs to research meetings with a preference to those that present a paper or poster. For more information, click here.
- Wim will partially support visits by female speakers in a Department seminar. WIM will support up to four visits per semester and cover half of the cost up to $300 per visitor. If you are a faculty member and are hosting a female speaker, please email Ae Ja Yee to inquire about support. For a list of sponsored talks, click the Talks tab.
AWM Travel Grants
The AWM, together with the NSF, sponsors Travel Grants to attend mathematical conferences in the US and abroad. You must have a PhD to apply. The next deadline is May 1, 2018.
Topics of discussion
These are some topics we discussed in our previous meetings:
- Gender, the teaching and the learning of mathematics.
- What impact does pregnancy have to a female mathematician?
- Future opportunities in Mathematics and related fields.
- Facets of majoring in Mathematics for women.
- What’s it like to be a female mathematician at NSA?
- A discussion on the annual survey by the American Mathematical Society on employment in the Mathematical Sciences.